Saturday, October 2, 2010

Petrone, Pride, and some Football in between

   The roaring of the crowd, the bright lights of beaming onto the field, the brisk chill in the air, coupled with a looming excitement projected from the Southern fans, my first ever college football game. Arriving to the tailgate with my friends was bittersweet. I love football, and use to go to my high school's games all the time. We were huge on spirit, and so is Southern Connecticut, but I couldn't shed the feeling of wishing I was at a game back in my hometown, where I knew the players out on the field, where I got to see my friends are all stacked in the stands, and where I saw that good old maroon and gold pride illuminating off every inch of the town. It takes some getting use to being at a new school, and not having all the same pride that you once had for your high school, to now have for your college. But, regardless, I painted my face in blue and white, and got prepared to enjoy some Southern Connecticut football.
    My friends and I all went to the tailgate, because we knew we'd be getting some free food, and honestly, what college kid would turn down anything free, especially food. We ate well, and then started preparing ourselves for the game. Like mention previously, we all decided to get our faces painted. We put on our Southern Connecticut wear, and we were ready to cheer on our football team, my new football team. We pumped ourselves up with a new feeling of pride, because this game was special. This game would be televised! The stands were packed; of course it seemed like everyone was there, and as we made our way through the crowd and found our spots in the stands, I thought to myself, "This is it Lex, for the next four years, this is your team, this is your pride." I cheered, I yelled, I was focused in on that game. Southern Connecticut took the win, and I couldn't have been happier. The game was a blast, and it's gotten me now excited for upcoming games. I can't wait to be in the stands cheering on my Southern football players. 

1 comment:

  1. I like your picture. Not sure what happened with your formatting.

    ReplyDelete