Saturday, December 4, 2010

Petrone's Final Assessment


I can remember throughout my senior year, the stress that I felt. The overwhelming fear of “will I get into college?” And, here I am, a freshman at Southern Connecticut State University finishing up my first semester. Entering college, I was of course anxious. I thought would I be able to keep up with the workload, and be able to receive good grades in that respect. I feared would not only transitioning to a new environment, but a completely different state be hard? High school is a completely different from college. In college, you are on your own. You have responsibility unlike ever before. You are suddenly responsible for all your actions, whether it be academically, or personally. Everything is now on you, and up to you. Your grades reflect the amount of effort you put in, and what you’ll get out of the given course. Transitioning from high school to college not only enables one to prioritize and manage their time, but also requires one gain a new set of skills, and know-how. For myself personally, I gained varying college skills. One skill was simply doing the wash. Back at home I would dry, fold, and sometimes iron (if needed) all the clothes but, now I had to learn how to wash them and what to detergent(s) to use! Laundry was certainly not the most important skill I gained though. A vital skill I acquired was learning how to better manage my time in regards to my college work. Based upon my schedule, I could plan when to do what; for example, what time to study, do homework, or do something personal for myself. College also allows one to gain a new set of knowledge in the matter how of one thinks. In high school, teachers would ask you a question, and you’d simply answer back. But, in college, professors challenge you, and your mind. They ask for you to go outside your comfort zone, and think outside the box, a skill that can open your mind to many new ideas, insights, and perspectives.
The transition one experiences from high school into college affects each individual differently. It can change a person. I changed into someone who now is more mature, and organized; One who is able to take both sides of a story, and see both perspectives, analyze them, and formulate my own opinion.  I have changed into someone who use to prefer the simple things in life, to someone who not only prefers them, but values them a lot more. These simple little aspects of life can get lost when one enters into college. But, it is important to never lose sight of what you want for yourself, and who you want to be. I entered college wanting learn more about everything, like my major and my new community here at Southern Connecticut. I wanted to accomplish having a 3.5 or better, and have. I have learned and accomplished my goals. I would advise anyone who is transitioning from high school into college to write down their goals, like I did. Stay true to them, and try to never put them on the back burner. I would advise individuals to not be afraid to be themselves, to not be afraid to put themselves out there, and to always stay true to who they are. It is up to you to bring the success you do so seek.



1 comment:

  1. Awesome pictures. I felt the same stress before entering college.

    ReplyDelete